The purpose of the CERCA Institute is to ensure that the Catalan research centres system is properly developed; to encourage and maximise synergies, coordination between centres and strategic cooperation; to improve the positioning, visibility and impact of the research carried out and to facilitate communication between public and private agents.
To summarise, the activities of the CERCA Institute primarily focus on the following:
- Contributing to the international presence of the research centres of the Government of Catalonia.
- Facilitating and fostering the adoption of common policies in research management, scientific development and knowledge transfer, identifying and taking advantage of synergies and economies of scale.
- Contributing to strengthening cooperation and scientific exchanges with the best centres and universities in the world, fostering interdisciplinary research, coordinated transversal programmes, the mobility of researchers and the recruiting and retaining of talent on an international level.
- Increasing and facilitating the transfer of knowledge to the business sector and to society in general, in addition to the support, assessment and fostering of the creation of spin-off companies arising from patents or results.
- Fostering, within the scope of the research centers, the involvement and commitment of the financial and business sectors and society in general.